Hamtramck woman grateful to be alive, but lost everything in her house fire on Saturday

Hamtramck woman grateful to be alive, but lost everything in her house fire on Saturday

Chante Collins has lived in a house in Hamtramck for 15 years.

She usually works Saturdays, with her night shift usually ending around 10:30 am. But he was asked to stay an extra hour on Saturday night. Collins believes she is alive because she was at work when a fire broke out in her home.

“There’s a chance I could have walked through the door or got into the house and everything that blew up and I would have been home,” Collins said. “Anyone in my part of the house would not have survived. “

Collins, 32, said his phone lit up when flames swept through the house.

At first, relatives feared the worst.

“My friends tried to run across the street because she thought I was in the house,” she said. “They know my schedule.”

When she got there Collins was in shock.

“All my things are gone,” she said. “I can’t process it. Like, I have nothing.

Its owner lives upstairs and barely made it out in time.

“He started to run,” she says. “In five minutes the house was gone, engulfed in flames. “

A d

She has no insurance and lives with a friend, but is in desperate need of basic necessities.

“It’s so unreal, I can’t believe it,” she said. “There is nothing, nothing that can be saved. Nothing.”

Despite losing everything, Collins is determined to stay positive.

“I might be gone now, and what would my family and my best friend do,” she said. “You can’t have anything without life. Everything is replaceable. If I’m not there, I can’t have anything.

Neighbors said they heard a loud explosion inside the house. The case is still under investigation.

If anyone would like to help Collins, a GoFundMe account has been created and can be accessed by clicking or tapping here.

Copyright 2022 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *